Monday, January 27, 2014

Healthy Comfort Foods

 
Tonight my goal was to make mac n' cheese with a healthy twist. I need to start by saying that I had never heard of QUINOA until a few weeks ago. Many of my friends who are in this weight loss journey with me started using it and until then I had no idea it even existed. So, today I bought some and tried a new recipe. Someone asked me to find a healthy alternative to mac n' cheese so that's exactly what I did. To top it off, I made a crock pot honey chicken. The smell of my kitchen tonight was awesome! Everyone came in wondering what I was up to which makes this journey a lot more fun! I was getting tired of cooking the same old foods. I always say I don't have time to do much else, but I am finding that to be wrong. I'm enjoying this new found adventure and I hope you are too!
 
So here it is.... tonight's recipes....
 
Broccoli and Cheese Quinoa
 
1 1/2 cups dry quinoa, cooked (see directions below)
1 cup milk
2 T minced garlic
2 eggs beaten
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
1t salt
1 t pepper
1/2 t crushed red pepper (I only had pepper flakes and worked fine)
2 cups lightly steamed broccoli (I used a steamer bag)
 
To cook quinoa: add 3 cups of water (always double the quinoa) to a sauce pan and pour in the 1 1/2 cups quinoa. Bring to a boil. Cover and turn down to med-low for 15-20 min. After, take off heat and leave another 5 minutes.
 
While that sits, in another bowl mix milk, eggs, garlic, red pepper, salt, and pepper. Stir well. Mix cheese and broccoli in with quinoa folding lightly. Add wet ingredients a little at a time until all mixed together. Put into greased 13x9 pyrex and bake on 350 degrees for 30 min.
 
Crock Pot Honey Chicken
 
 
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 small onion diced
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup ketchup
2 T minced garlic
3T soy sauce
2T olive oil or coconut oil
 
cut chicken and combine all ingredients in crock pot. Stir and cook all day on low.
 
I hope you all enjoy this meal! The kids gave it an overall average score of "A". I asked them to rate A-F so I could tell you how they liked it. I don't think they mind being the guinea pigs. One entire dish of quinoa was gone and we have leftovers for tomorrow. Since breakfast and lunch are always so easy for me, I can devote more time to planning healthy dinners for the fam. Let me know how you and your family likes this! Until tomorrow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment