Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Who's hungry?

Hey friends and neighbors! :) I have had so many requests for meals that I am going to post again today. Since I have to cook for a family of 7 I don't always get to have leftovers. I may buy a huge pork loin or a big roast, but it usually gets eaten to the very last nibble. So, when I began eating healthier this became a lot harder for me. I wanted to cook enough to eat during the week. Easier said than done! I just have to get creative with what I make for my family. I don't like cooking more than 1 meal so I don't! Everyone eats the same thing. There is no "my food" "your food" going on because that would get too complicated. So here are some of my favorite meals that fit into my slow carb eating plan. Basically, I don't eat white bread, sugar, potatoes, etc... I don't eat bread at all unless I have my cheat meal which I like to save up for some of my absolute favorites. No wasting my cheat meal on fast food anymore. Let me know if you try any of these out and what you think. Some of them I made up myself and my kids love all of them!

TACO CHICKEN

Frozen chicken breasts (boneless skinless)
2 cans black beans, drained
1 bag frozen corn
1 jar of your favorite salsa
1 cup shredded cheese
1 packet taco seasoning

Optional: serve on a bed of white rice

Using a glass pyrex dish (the biggest I have) line the bottom of pan with black beans evenly. Then cover with the bag of frozen corn. Then lay the frozen chicken breasts over the corn as many as you can without stacking. Shake entire taco seasoning packet over chicken and cover with the entire jar of salsa. Sprinkle cheese if desired. Bake on 400 degrees for 50 min. Serve on white rice if you like and top with a spoon of sour cream.

CARNITAS:

Place the following in a crockpot first thing in the morning on low heat and leave on all day~
1 large pork loin
2 T minced garlic
1T dried oregano
2T olive oil
1 T salt
2 T pepper
1 cup water

I usually cook my meat from 10-5 on low heat. When cooked shred with 2 forks and pull apart.

Toppings~
Avocado diced
salsa
tomato
lettuce
refried beans
rice (optional)
Flour tortillas

This is a fun meal for kids. Just like tacos. They love to create their own. Super easy and yummy!


A TWIST ON STEAK



Grill up some yummy steaks

Topping:
In a frying pan cover the bottom with olive oil. Chop a Vidalia onion or 2 (depending on how many are eating) and brown. Chop up some fresh cilantro and avocado. Drizzle with some a small amount of fresh lime. You won't need steak sauce with this!

SLICED BAKED SWEET POTATOES



These are the bomb diggity! If that's even a word!

Using a very sharp nice cut potatoes in small slices but do not cut clean through. Leave about 1/4 inch on the bottom untouched. Do this across the entire potato then drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake on 425 degrees for 50-60 min. You can pull the pieces right off and eat with your fingers.


CROCKPOT SHRIMP

Dump 2 or 3 bags of shrimp (precooked frozen) in the crockpot with a packet of McCormick's Baja Citrus seasoning. Cook on low for a few hours and serve on white rice. WARNING: There will be no leftovers!

TURKEY CHILI

1 pound ground turkey
2 cans of northern beans drained
2 cans of black beans drained
1 jar of salsa
1 can green chilies
1 large can of Hunt's tomato sauce
1 packet McCormick's chili seasoning

Toppings:
sour cream
hot sauce

Brown turkey in pan then add all other ingredients. Stir and let warm for about 10 min and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment